Wednesday 5 June 2013

Passion

Sometimes the stresses of life and the nuances of our society can get a bit much. Not like to wrist-slitting levels. But more so of when you think to yourself, 'whats the point, you gotta have other things that drive you, right? right?!'

So when I came across Little Robyn like minutes after posting the two awesome tracks from yesterday, that exact sentiment resonated. I'm gonna warn you now, I am now a humongusive fan of Little Robyn, so here goes...

In a Kate Nash telling a story-sort-of-way but with greater vocal range and a sweet ukelele, Little Robyn takes you on a little spiritual journey with each of her tracks. A little feature of some stand-outs now follows.

Passion
Basically read the introduction to this post. Add some folksy ukelele. Then a big dollop of cutesy, soothing vocals and a dash of lyrical irony and this is what you get. A question of passion.



The Word Love Is Over-rated
The desperate hippy in me believes love is the answer to everything. And so the lyrics don't necessarily hit the heart to me. But I like the story told. And I think I am a little addicted with how pain is expressed is so sweetly. Like a nervous feeling of feeling happy at Little Robyn's pain. The German's have a word for this - schadenfreude I believe.




Jealousy
Its the ahem and then the mouth organ that gets me. And I feel like I repeat myself when I then fall for the ukelele and those whispy/honeysuckle/floaty vocals. Not fully sure if I even understand all the lyrics, but at 1.10 'to me' resonating a few times with that combo of folksy instrumentals just knocks me dead.



Crazy
If I was allowed to have a wildcard choice it would be this cover of Crazy. Recorded live and probably on a phone or something, this is all about the vocals. The imperfections of recording just add to the atmosphere. I am seriously looking forward to seeing Little Robyn live!

No comments:

Post a Comment